Musical Director / Arranger
- Antony and the Johnsons "She's So Blue" at La Salle Pleyel – 2013
- Jerry Garcia Symphony (National Tour) – 2013
- Jazz Foundation Benefit at The Apollo Theatre (Bono, Lou Reed) – 2013
- Nino Rota Tribute at The Barbican Theatre – 2013
- Jazz Foundation Benefit at The Apollo Theatre (Dr. John, Elvis Costello) – 2012
- Freedom Riders Meltdown Festival – 2012
- Jazz Foundation Benefit at The Apollo Theatre (Lou Reed, Macy Gray) – 2012
- Shel Silverstein Tribute at Central Park (Lou Reed, Laurie Anderson) – 2011
- Freedom Riders at Celebrate Brooklyn (Roseanne Cash, Todd Rundgren) – 2001
- Steroid Maximus at Celebrate Brooklyn – 2010
- Solidarnos 20th (Philip Glass, Anjelique Kidjoo) Gdansk
- RED Benefit at Carnegie Hall (U2, Joel Grey, Lady Gaga) – 2009
- Bill Withers Tribute at Celebrate Brooklyn (Bill Withers, My Morning Jacket) – 2008
- Robert Altman NYC Memorial – 2007
- Disney Tribute at The Barbican Theatre (Forest Of No Return) – 2007
- Doc Pomus Tribute at Celebrate Brooklyn (Ben E King, Lou Reed) at Celebrate Brooklyn – 2007
- Leonard Cohen Tribute "I'm Your Man" at Dublin/Brighton/Sydney Opera House/Celebrate Brooklyn – (2003-2006)
Midnight Ramble Band
Baby Loves Jazz
A new twist on kid’s music, this joint project of Steven Bernstein and producer Andy Hurwitz corrals an all-star lineup of formidable jazzers to rev up children’s songs like “Old MacDonald” (in which the farmer is recast as a hip bandleader) and “I’ve Been Working on the Railroad.” The Verve/Forecast recording, “Go Baby Go,” features keyboardist John Medeski (Medeski, Martin & Wood), drummer Ben Perwosky (Dave Douglas, MTO), saxophonist Briggan Krauss (Sex Mob), bassists Brad Jones (Jazz Passengers, Marc Ribot) and Lonnie Plaxico (Cassandra Wilson, Dizzy Gillespie).
Levon Helm's performance career in the 2000s revolved mainly around the Midnight Ramble sessions at his home and studio, "The Barn," in Woodstock, New York. These concerts, featured Helm and various musical guests. The Levon Helm Band, now known as The Midnight Ramble Band hosted Midnight Ramble sessions that were open to the public at his home in Woodstock.
The Midnight Ramble was an outgrowth of an idea Helm explained to Martin Scorsese in The Last Waltz. Earlier in the 20th century, Helm recounted traveling medicine shows and music shows such as F.S. Walcott Rabbit's Foot Minstrels, featuring African-American blues singers and dancers, would put on titillating performances in rural areas.
Artists who performed at the Rambles included Garth Hudson, Elvis Costello, Emmylou Harris, Dr. John, Mavis Staples, Steely Dan, Kris Kristofferson, Norah Jones, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, and more.
The trio of Bernstein, slide guitar mastermind Dave Tronzo and tuba genius Marcus Rojas was active between 1993 and 1997, recording three albums of subversive and surprising music some of which was used for the production of “Fly by Night” by the San Francisco Ballet. Spanish Fly started performing together again in 2005, and are working on a new recording project. The unusual instrumentation of this group has never quite been matched. “This trio defies genres, as well as gravity.” – SF Bay Guardian.
Steven Bernstein joined John Lurie's critically acclaimed Lounge Lizards in 1990, a ten year association that led him into working with Lurie as a Musical Director and Arranger for the ensemble. This included the films Get Shorty, Excess Baggage, and Clay Pigeons, the IFC television series Fishing With John, as well as several commercial jingles and a string quartet for the 1995 World's Fair.
- Chicago Jazz Fest, Billy Strayhorn Centinnial – 2015
- Lincoln Center, Out of Doors with Orquestra Rumpilezz – 2015
- Symphony Space, Maciste D'all Inferno – 2015
- Twyla Tharpe, In C – 2014
- Town Hall, The Music of John Lurie – 2014
- Lodz Arts Festival, Music of the Lodz Ghetto – 2013
- Cincinnati Conservatory, Music of Bond – 2013
- Orquestra Jazz Matosinhos, Jazz Composer's Forum – 2013
- Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra, Falafel, Freilach & Frijoles – 2012
- River to River Festival, Music of Sly Stone – 2009
- Gunn High School, Evolution 101 – 2008
- Jazz Baltica (guest composer/artist in residence) – 2007
- Celebrate Brooklyn, Laurel & Hardy – 2007
- FONT, Relativity Suite – 2007
- Painted Bride, Diaspora Blues Special Edition – 2005
- MASS MoCA, 21st Century Waltz – 2002